Live the dream!
The Just Effing Entertain Me Screenwriting Competition is dedicated to providing more than cash and prizes: an unforgettable experience for the grand prize winner. Each and every year we strive to set ourselves apart by setting you apart.
We’ll bring you to Los Angeles, put you up in a hotel and introduce you to people with wisdom to impart and career opportunities to offer.
Last year’s winner, Ian Simpson, had lunch with Shane Black and got signed by Andrew Kersey Management before the week was out.
And that could be you.
Writers with exponentially higher chances of winning the JFEME competition:
- Write scripts with unique, compelling premises that we have not seen before.
- Write scripts that are universal and marketable, and have a specific audience in mind.
- Write clean, uncluttered pages that move quickly.
- Understand structure well and use it to escalate stakes and develop character on every page.
- Have fun on every page, writing cinematic moments and memorable set pieces.
- Just effing entertain our judges with a good story, well told.
Writers Who Want to Leverage Their Win Should:
- Have at least one other great script polished and ready to go. More is better.
- Be good in a room, i.e., be confident and ready to talk about themselves, their writing and where they want to go with it.
- Have at least five pitches for other ideas.
- Be prepared to follow up their LA visit
SEE WHAT PAST WINNERS HAVE TO SAY
- One round trip ticket to Los Angeles
- 3 nights accommodation at the Farmer’s Daughter
- 3 meetings with 3 managers to discuss the winning script
- Lunch with a tba A-List writer (Previous writers include David Arata – Children of Men, Josh Zetumer – Dune, Steve Faber – Wedding Crashers, Shane Black – Lethal Weapon, Jeff Bushell – Beverly Hills Chihuahua & Badly Drawn)
- $1,000 in cash
- Marathon career/what-comes-next consultation with your chaperone and chauffeur for the week, Julie Gray
- A tattoo to mark the occasion at LA Ink’s Kat Von D at High Voltage Tattoo OR lunch at the fancy Hollywood restaurant of your choice.
- An Apple iPad
One winner in each category, below, wins:
- $250 in cash
- A one-hour phone career consult with Julie Gray
- $100 gift certificate to the Writer’s Store
- Best Horror/Thriller
- Best Comedy
- Best Sci-Fi
Deadlines and Entry Fees
Early Bird: by April 1st, 2011 ($45)
Regular Deadline: by May 1st, 2011 ($50)
Extended Deadline: by May 15, 2011 ($55)
Final Deadline: by June 1st, 2011 ($65)
Quarterfinalists: July 5th, 2011
Semi-finalists: August 15th, 2011
Finalists: September 1st, 2011
Grand Prize: September 15th, 2011